Asked by Brady  |  Submitted November 13, 2013

I have been denied flood insurance, what can I do?

Report Question Report

  Leave Answer

Sign in to MoneyTips
By submitting you agree to our Terms of Service

  Answers  |  1

March 10, 2014

Businesses and residences qualify for coverage. Buildings and Contents qualify for insurance. However, if your business or home is below ground level there is usually an exclusion for your contents. There are also limits to the amount of insurance available through the National Flood Insurance Program and sometimes it is necessary to also purchase additional insurance through a surplus lines company if you must protect a large mortgage. A mortgage company also has the right to require that you purchase insurance equal to the replacement cost of the building not just enough to cover your loan. Speak to the potential lender BEFORE you sign your loan documents to see what their requirements are.

At this time (March 2014), we are still waiting to find out what our congress is going to do about the current problems that were created when they passed the Biggert-Waters Reform Act of 2012. They may reverse or modify this because it has caused many homes and businesses to find themselves with unaffordable flood insurance on property they have owned and occupied for years.

If you have not been able to find flood insurance locally, go to this website sponsored by FEMA:

On this site you will be able to find a local agent who is licensed and able to help you. You can even call and get a direct referral. There is also excellent information available so you can educate yourself by just reading the Q&A section. It is helpful to read some of this information to inform yourself before you speak to anyone.

$commenter.renderDisplayableName() | 06.15.21 @ 22:50