Asked by Meredith L  |  Submitted August 19, 2015

I've been out of work and defaulted on my federal student loan. My husband works and we usually file joint taxes

I don't want the tax return to be seized. How do I protect against this until I get in a better position to pay my loan?

Report Question Report

  Leave Answer

Sign in to MoneyTips
By submitting you agree to our Terms of Service

  Answers  |  1

April 18, 2016

Hi Meredith.

Paul has offered you a great suggestion with the Injured Spouse (form 8379). Check with your CPA and tax advisors on getting this completed. Also are you currently in default? If not, forbearance is a great option. Default is a last resort and requires careful consideration. I highly suggest you consult with your note holders and trusted advisors before doing this.

Feel free to contact us directly for more information. We have lots of no cost educational resources designed to get you where you need to be financially. No obligation.

It's not what you make, It's what you keep that determines your lifestyle.

$commenter.renderDisplayableName() | 06.15.21 @ 23:16